She Runs the Night- Running for life!




So I've always been a runner- I still remember the first time my Dad took me running. I don't know how old I was- but still living in Pryor on Lindley Lane. Now there were definite times that I did not enjoy running- I went through a period where I suppose I was rather lazy and hated going with my Dad- he would make me though- push on through. I am so very grateful that I have a Father that pushes me (and did encourage me) to do outdoor activities. I can still remember running around the park track, feeling like I was going to die, and my Dad chanting Phillipians 4:13 to the beat of our run- "I can do, all things, through Christ, who strengthens me". To this day when I'm running and need some extra motivation, I start saying that in my head and mind. I love that I have that memory and motivation with me- special that it's from my Dad as well. 

However, I've never run a BIG race. Well, I did the Tulsa Run (what is that 9 miles) when I was in 9th or 10th grade- don't remember- just remember Katy and I doing it! So when I moved to Sydney I got totally inspired by all of the runners, outdoor activities and such around her. Jason has a few co-workers that are big into triathalons, so I thought how fun and neat would it be to do a 1/2 marathon. Well, that is coming up May 20th- very excited- and nervous. Then, I found this article in a magazine- Nike "She Runs the Night". Oooooohhhhh- hooked right then! An all women's run- at night- in Centennial Park here in Sydney. How cool! Jason keeps making fun of me- because I read the promo over and over to people- but it's just cool. Check out their page on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nikesheruns  

I love running at night, but don't really get a chance to all that much (with the boys and all) and quite honestly sometimes it can be a little scary (with all the whackies out there), so this is going to be a thrill! The race is next Thursday night, May 3rd, and I'm ready! I've got the 1/2 marathon 2 1/2 weeks later so this should be a good warm up.

Obviously when you (well I need to) want to run a race like this, it's only fitting that you train. I've so loved it- it's made me push myself further than I have with running in a LONG time. I found this training program- 10 weeks- online when I registered for the 1/2 marathon. It's grueling and intense but so invigorating! Training 5 days a week with 3 days of running- one long day, two days of 60/70 minutes, then reps, hills and anerobic training in between. The first two weeks were ridiculously tough, but I pushed through and have been pretty consistent with 
it.

I hope NIKE brings this race around the world- I think it would be so amazing- to unite as Sisters- in running. It's so empowering- liberating-and encouraging to do with friends and sisters!- even though I don't know a single one out there! :)  

Of course with this training my appetite as increased so I've been trying to find good recipes with lots of protein and vegetables. My main problem is the snacking- I want to snack all day, so finding nutritious and filling snacks has been interesting. But I've loved the ideas and information that I've gotten online from Runners World- they have some great recipes and snack ideas. 

Here is a recipe I made last night though- super yummy, nutritious and filling! It's from AllRecipes though- Turkey and Spinach Lasagna. 
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/delicious-spinach-and-turkey-lasagna/




Super yummy- but I used chicken (didn't have minced turkey), wholemeal lasagna noodles, light mozzarella, and Weight Watches cottage cheese (instead of ricotta). 
Boys loved it as well- picture was taken after we had already eaten half of it! 

Happy Monday to everyone in the States- it's Tuesday and were off to school! 









From the album: Profile Pictures
By Nike She Runs





We're here to start a revolution




Set goals. Be realistic. Be confident in what you want to achieve. Believe in yourself. Then once you're ready, start running.
Sydney’s female running community are coming together to race the night! night
For one night only, Sydney’s Centennial Park and surrounds will be transformed so you can run the night
Distance: 13km
When: Thursday 3 May 2012, 7pm
Who: Women only










Comments

  1. So awesome you are a runner! I ran when I was younger, but can't seem to now!!!

    There once was this woman who lived in her shoes and because they were Nike's she really could cruise, for she ran against anyone....she ran with a lust...and she kicked their butts soundly as they choked on her dust.

    HA - that was on a shirt I had when I was a runner and I'll never forget it :)

    That recipe sounds yum!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts