Book Club!

So I finally joined my first Book Club! Woo! And...it's an American Book Club...so all Americans. I found it through a friend here and am so happy that I decided to go.

It's funny really, the first time I went (in July), was thee first time in a LONG time that I've been around more than 1 or 2 Americans. I had a TON of American friends in Shanghai, but only had a few here. Seems silly, because there are a TON of Americans in Sydney but they are scattered everywhere. In Shanghai, I felt like we were concentrated to two areas.

Anyway- here is the book we did for July. It was Michael Polan's "The Omnivore's Dilemma". I actually only heard about book club a few weeks before so didn't get a chance to ready it, but did kinda read some notes on it.

Very interesting read- I know there are lots of discussions/books/articles on what we are putting into our body. Grain fed vs. Grass fed, cage free chickens, etc., It covers all of that. As I mentioned, I didn't read all of it but it was a good discussion while at book club. Can't say that I want to totally change our eating/buying habits, but I am definitely more aware of what we buy. I think I was awhile ago though just from living in Shanghai.

August was Hope Edelman's "The Possibility of Everything". Hmmm, wondering who picked out this book. It was a bit odd, a slow read and rather boring.

It was basically a memoir of a woman who is dealing with her child's "imaginary friend". They go on a vacation of sorts to Belize and use a "shaman" or "bush doctor". It definitely had some weird moments and just wasn't that easy to get into. I skipped through alot of it. Wouldn't really recommend it.

However, as most "book clubs" (or so I've heard), I think there is more socializing and eating or drinking wine than an actual discussion. Which, is fine for me, because I've loved meeting some of these new gals.

Last month was quite big- I think there was about 15 of us. Women from all ages and all over the US. It's just nice to go chat with women that are from your own country, are living expat lives and you can talk about some of your frustrations, the differences you face here or just life in general.

I'm hosting next month- well, in a few weeks! GONE GIRL is the book. :)

Comments

  1. I've always wanted to do a book club!!!! I have my fingers crossed that one day I'll have more time to read and won't fall asleep when I do so ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are really fun- especially if you read the books. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts