Summer Vacation, my favorite Thailand- Part 2

Even though I was terribly sad that we had to leave our beautiful resort, we were headed for Bangkok and there is nothing more fun sometimes than a big bustling city. We've been to Bangkok twice before as well, but each time we've done different things.

We arrived about 5ish in Bangkok (short 45 minute flight from Phuket), but due to the time and heavy traffic our flight and travel to our hotel ended up being about the same time. Go figure. :) We stayed, of course, at another Starwood Hotel, the Sheraton Grande. http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=357&language=en_US

With that being said, you know when you travel with kiddos that somethings are bound to happen. Henry started complaining of his ear hurting on the flight and was quite a miserable little thing. We were supposed to meet my sorority sister and her husband (whom I went to OU with and are doing an expat assignment there) for dinner but we had to cancel. We ended up just getting to our room, ordering room service and passing out. Isn't it funny how you go on vacation but sometimes can be quite exhausting (I guess that's the kids right?). 

Jason actually had work in Bangkok so we didn't see him much - a big conference (3 of his co-workers flew in- from Sydney and Hong Kong). BUT, the boys and I had plenty of fun and lots to see in Bangkok.

First thing was first, was taking lil' Henry to the doctor. I found an international clinic through the concierge (the staff and service in Thailand is literally one of the best!). Took us no time at all and we were on our way. Our hotel was nice because it had a bridge that connected it to the skytram (the train system) but there is a walkway that goes all along the highway and leads you to numerous shopping malls, etc., 

So we ventured into one of the malls, Terminal 21, and had a coffee and did a bit of shopping. By the time we went to the doctor, shopped around a bit, then found a nice little grocery store for lunch. We headed back to the room and had lunch then had a small nap for the boys. We then went and saw the movie, Turbo, about the snails. We really wanted to see Monsters University but it wasn't showing yet. :( Cute movie though.

Our night (as Jason was caught up with dinner and sorts) was spent by the BEAUTIFUL and relaxing pool. I had a glass of wine, we ordered pizza and thai chicken and beef skewers and then the boys swam. :) 

The next day we met up with my friend, Emily Allam (who's living in Bangkok) and we took the kids to a big playground area. She has twins (only a year and a half) but nonetheless, the kids all had a fun time and it was fun hearing about Emily's experience in Bangkok and catching up with her. 

The boys and I had lunch in the mall we were in (it was about 15 minutes from the hotel) then had ice cream at the wonderful and fabulous Swensen's (does anyone remember these?). I told the boys about how my parents would take me to the one in Utica Square and how much I loved getting the little kid's sundaes. It brought back nice memories. 

Our afternoon was spent relaxing (with some new DVD's) we had found, then we went strolling along the streets near our hotel and then ordered room service again. It is funny, I think because of all the traveling and constant going that we do, sometimes the boys just want to "stay in". Jack always says, "Mom, can we just stay in and relax tonight". Hard to convince tired children though that you're in an amazing and exciting city. Ah well! 

Like I said, Jason was hard at work (someone has to support and pay for these trips!) and so we took our next morning and went to the Aquarium there. It really was one of the best- and trust me, we've been to alot! It was Siam Ocean World, http://www.siamoceanworld.co.th/ and we loved it! 

We took a little boat ride over the sharks (kinda cool- the boys loved it) and took home big souvenirs. I told the boys they could pick out one thing from the gift shop- well, of course, they both chose the biggest things. Jack chose a big stuffed turtle and Henry chose a big stuffed shark. Those were fun carrying around the mall. We had lunch at the glorious Ruby Tuesdays- ha ha! I don't think I've EVER eaten at ANY in the States, but sometimes you need a little bit of "home". 

I usually like to bring home some sort of "keepsake" or item from our trips. So I found a bookstore and picked out a nice Thai cookbook. In love! Thai food is one of my favorites- I cannot tell you how much I love the flavors. It's so intoxicating really....okay, I'm going to get off tangent here. I'll have to do some posts on some of the recipes I've made so far. They don't disappoint- that's all I'll say! 

That night Jason had off (it was Friday I mean!) so he met us at the hotel so we could venture out (finally!) for a night out. I had some recommendations from the concierge for some yummy and Authentic thai food. We found the place, called Baan Khanitha, www.baan-khanitha.com and it was of course, fabulous. We ordered the appetizer plate- full of spring rolls, shrimp cakes, prawn crackers and thai chicken satay skewers. Then we had beautiful green chicken curry (my favorite! I don't opt for the red in Thailand because everything is always so much spicer when you're in the homeland, right!?), pandan chicken and oyster beef. Needless to say, we did not leave unhappy! I loved the setting of the place too. 

We were so full that we took a taxi back- which was sad because I'm pretty sure it was only a 10 minute walk. I think we were all so tired from the trip though. The next morning we were off back home. We spent another wonderful morning at the buffet breakfast then went to the pool and relaxed there for awhile and had lunch before quickly packing our bags and heading to the hotel.

Another wonderful vacation in Thailand but we were happy to get back to Bosco- he missed us! I would highly recommend Thailand to anyone- I will go back over and over again! 

Here are some pictures from our trip:

Siam Ocean World- inside of a HUGE mall

This is what I get when I want to take a picture!

Attack of the giant crabs! 

Lil' fun with our penguin friend

Our lil' boat ride above the sharks....bit nervous I was! 

Touching tanks- Jack didn't want to touch the silly starfish. We all did though!

See the sharks?

Yep- there they are! My worst nightmare!

I thought this was so cute- a tuk tuk with an aquarium built in

After the aquarium we took our own tuk tuk home. Remember- negotiate the price BEFORE you take off in it. They always try and stiff you! 

Food court! How nice is this?

They're souvenirs from the trip! 

Thai food for the whole family! 


Walking along the streets...it was bloody hot!

ha ha! See how close those other cars are...a bit of a crazy ride!



Does he look hot and bothered? This big man was ready for some A/C and bed! 

Our hotel's gorgeous pool layout...dreamy isn't it. A little oasis in the midst of the bustling city!




These boys are such travelers! I love iPad's though...they help! 

The cinema- and it was actually pretty cheap! 


UMMMM yes please! My favorite and it's in Thailand! But...with that being said, it never quite tastes the same as back home, but who cares!?!? :) 

The mall- Terminal 21 has different sections- San Francisco, London, Chinatown, etc., It's really neat!


And that's our vacation- in a nutshell! I'm ready to go back...

Comments

Popular Posts