Summer Vacation- my favorite Thailand, Part 1

Yes, I did promise that I wasn't going to go "back" and try to catch up, but honestly there is no excuse for not including a post on our summer vacation, especially when it was in my favorite place- Thailand! Yes, I love the US as home, but Thailand is just so different and I'm practically infatuated with Thai food!

Anyway, we decided we would take a nice long relaxing vacation instead of going home this summer. It was a hard decision- really it was- we LOVE summers in Oklahoma and seeing our friends and family. But honestly, I felt like we had just gotten here. I mean, we went home for Christmas, then back to Sydney, then only there 4 weeks before our move to Honkers (yes nickname for HK!)

So Jason had a business trip in Bangkok that he was going to have to go to- so we booked around that. I did ALOT of research before we went- I always do- and again, found a great resort! We have used Starwood Hotels Group alot- I like consistency in service and we've always had pleasant stays there. :) www.starwoodhotels.com

We left early during the week - it's only a 3 hour flight (I think) straight into Phuket. Then we took an hour drive (hired driver- that is always fun negotiating) to Khao Lak. We've stayed in Phuket and Krabi before and wanted to try something new. Mind you- we wanted the movie "The Impossible" some 2 months before our trip. This was about the terrible tsunami that hit (mainly in Khao Lak) in 2004. Our driver even pointed out the areas that we're badly hit (there is still some destruction) and we saw the hotel that was used for filming. All a bit strange...and sad, of course.

Anyway, we stayed at the Le Meridien. Oh we loved it! Rainy season and all (it rained the last 2 days we were there)! It was another fab hotel and choice pick. I love the service- the staff- the pools (3 I think), the beach, the restaurants, the rooms, etc., We had a suite- enough room for the boys to have two twins laid out in the living room, then a huge king size bed for us. All for about $300 a night. :)

We arrived at the hotel by about 1 and quickly check in. Then, where did we go- walk on the beach, then snacks and happy hour for us by the pool!

We quickly fell into routine at the hotel- breakfast buffet in the morning, walk on the beach and swim, then to the pool, then lunch on the beach, then some naps (for the boys) then more pool time and happy hour. Then off to dinner. We mainly just stayed at the hotel. Again, it was much needed R&R.

We did take one afternoon and went into the town of Khao Lak- not too much there but bargain shopping (and I had quite enough of that in Shanghai) and dinner. AND we did go elephant trekking- that was fun! :)

I love traveling here in Asia for many reasons, but I think more so because of the service and the people we meet. Most that we meet are expats and more willing to meet and open up. WE met a family from Australia and one from the UK that we chatted with alot of afternoons and evenings- they had kids that Jack and Henry befriended. It's always nice though for the boys to meet new little friends and to hear about other people's lives and experiences in expat living.

Well I must say I refrained myself this time from eating too much Thai food (usually before I've gone a bit overboard and by the end of the trip I'm suffering- if you know what I mean!).

Here are some fun pics from our time in Khao Lak:

Our beach- on the coastline of Phang Nga bay- off Andaman Sea

Henry enjoying some time in the kid's pool- complete with 2 slides!

Our lil' friend- we called her Ellie- she was out every morning and afternoon ready to give kisses!

Our first dinner in the buffet restaurant- this is where we also had breakfast every morning

Picturesque at night- and the boys add a bit of "delight"

Waterfalls off the pools- behind was the Italian restaurant- Favola

Ah! Breathtaking. These sunsets are my favorite. 


Dinner in the restaurant on the beach- thai, italian, western food, etc., 

Add caption

I loved that the hotel had balls to play with- an even an American football!


Khao Lak town- lots of bargain shopping and yummy restaurants


Yum- spring rolls and samosas

Yep- found this little gem- amazing! Authentic Thai food and we loved it-
they have a facebook page- that's it:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thai-Orchid-Restaurant-Café-Khao-Lak-opposite-Le-Meridien/408813969178078

Yep- elephant trekking. We were lucky and it didn't rain on us!

Henry wasn't quite sure at first!

We got off the elephants about 1/2 way through and took a walk (slippery and muddy) along the water and stopped at a gorgeous waterfall

At the elephant trekking place- there was a baby that was rocked and put to sleep in this bag?!? 

Little rain in paradise never hurt no one! 

And we do love a good cheeky bum bum! 

And this pretty much sums things up! ha ha! :) 

I HAD hired a photographer to come in from Phuket but we had to cancel due to the rain! :( Ah well- I found one of our UK friends to snap some. :) 

Kisses from Ellie again! P.S. She had a "thai" name but I always forgot it

Leading to the spa area of the resort- they even had an "adults" only pool. I did have a bikini wax here (maybe TMI) but it was the most enjoyable one I have ever had- and girls- that's saying alot! 

Activities board! We never participated but they had all sorts of fun activities throughout the day

Our last walk on the beach- my sweet boys! 

Yep- I was happy in this spot! 

More elephant trekking pictures- why these are not in order? 

Our swim in the waterfall...it was in part of the National Forest there.

Love this one! :) 
This pretty much sums up our trip- lots of fun memories and wonderful time with our boys. We left late afternoon (I think we were there 5 nights) and headed to Bangkok for Jason's conference and more fun for the boys and I! :)

Comments

Popular Posts