"Mean Girls"...do we ever get passed it?

So I'm pretty sure most everyone (my hubby even watched it with me one day) has seen the movie, "Mean Girls". It came out in 2004- starring Lindsey Lohan and was quite a hit. I'm sure teenage girls are still watching it today...

Mean Girls movie.jpg


I'm laughing though as I write this because I've been reminded of the movie so many times in the last few weeks. I swear some girls never really get passed it, do they? And I'm also quite certain that we, at some point, are "mean girls". We judge before we know people, we categorize someone by what they're wearing, and sometimes just don't even open ourselves up to letting in new friends.

Jack started school up about a month ago and when I walk into the courtyard at school pick-up you can just see it. Little 'cliques' already set up, with women that have been at the school for awhile and know and feel comfortable with each other. Or, in my case, and as a new Mom at the school, I can honestly feel stares sometimes. So I'm thinking, well, is my outfit okay? Do I look like an outcast? Then I shuck it to the side, because honestly I'm quite over it. 

Seeing as this is our 3rd country to move to, I'm quite used to it. But it is funny to me. I know most of these mothers at some point have been "new" and it can be hard making new friends. I don't mind standing alone because I'm comfortable with myself, but I do often make a point to go up to someone and say hi. And it's always funny to me, because once I've done that, the barrier is broken. They're nice and the "wall" is down. Is it because I look mean? Or unapproachable? I don't think so. I just think sometimes women have a hard time of just saying "hi" and opening themselves up to new friends. 

But listen, I still do it sometimes and I try to catch myself. I look at outfits, shoes, hair, their kids, etc., and I will "judge" people as well. I do. I admit it. And I think everyone does sometimes. 

Here's what I love though- about taking these notions and knocking down the walls- you never know who you will meet. You never know what friend you could come to know, what person might need a friend to talk to at that very moment, all the experiences, backgrounds and cultural differences that could add to your life. 

I love all of my friends that I have and I think they all add a different "spice" and element to my life- in different ways- but there's always room for more. There's always room for love and friendship and opening ourselves up to just saying hello. 


Comments

Popular Posts