Come and Gone- 5 years of living as Expats

I keep thinking about this, here and there, and it still is a bit crazy to me. Actually, our 5 year anniversary of living abroad was in April. The date was April 12, 2008 when we took the big gigantic move from Tulsa, Oklahoma to Shanghai, China. I still remember leaving my Dad at the airport, the flight, arriving in Shanghai. ALL of it. It's like it was yesterday. I guess that's just one of those memorable times that you just don't forget.

Needless to say, it's changed our lives in more ways that I could have EVER imagined. I'll say that it's not always been easy but I wouldn't change it. I've loved our experiences, the friends that we've met (from all over the world), what we've learned, the places we've traveled, and probably most importantly how it's helped Jason and I to love, appreciate and respect each other. (Trust me- and as expats you know- you HAVE to rely on your spouse because everyone else is gone. Well, I'll say, it either makes or breaks you!)

Our move to Shanghai was only supposed to be 2 1/2 years, then we extended another year, THEN Jason took a new job which moved us to Sydney, Australia (for training purposes) for a year and a half, then transfer to Hong Kong. So in February, we moved to Hong Kong and in April it would have been 5 years of living abroad.

Here are some of the monumental things that have happened:
1. A new son, W. Henry
2. We had our french bulldog, Lou Lou, brought over from the States ( then taken back to the US)
3. We now have a boxer, Bosco, that we flew in from New Zealand
4. We drove in Sydney and now driving in HK- woo experience there- driving on the opposite side of the car and opposite side of the road!
5. We've traveled to Thailand (3 times), Bali, Singapore, Tokyo, Vietnam, Macau, and Beijing (Jason has done alot more with his business)
6. We have good friends from the U.K., New Zealand, Australia, India, Canada and the States
7. Jason lost one of his grandfathers and I lost one of mine while overseas- definitely one of the reasons it's so hard to be so far away
8. I got involved in the women's ministry in Shanghai- Women of Joy- as the Event Coordinator- one of the best "jobs"
9. I was offered interior design jobs through the Parkyard Hotel in Shanghai. I did Christmas and Chinese New Year decor as well as a full re-decorating project for their Cafe
10. Jason's Mom, Jan, has come over to visit ALL countries- in Sydney she actually came twice a year
11. My parents, my sister, Jason's Mom, Dad, sister, brother-in-law, cousin and Aunt and Uncle all came to visit at least one of the countries
12. I started a photography business in Sydney- went pretty well. :)


Hmmmm, I think that's it. I'm sure I"ll think of more later- or want to add some.

Here are some pictures from our first EXPAT home- Shanghai, China. We lived in 3 different places (one was only for 3 months!):
Two of my besties - Emily and Heidi- both from Tulsa. ALL of our hubbies worked together. And I never met them until I moved over! :) 

The Beijing Olympics started in August- just 4 1/2 months after we arrived! 



Our Beijing trip- photo op of course! 

I can't get this to rotate- but one of our favorite drivers, Steven


Family pic. Jack was just 1 1/2 when we moved. This is at Thumb Plaza



Olympic fun everywhere! 


Jason's Mom, their besties- Eva & T.C. and us


Fun girlfriends - from all over the world. And a prego belly for me! 


Celebrating Chinese New Year! 

Jack's Christmas present! Lady Toulouse- we brought her all the way in from the States!
Finally got both of my parents to visit (out of order in picture sequence!) 

Our lil' tiger- blessed us on Chinese New Year week. Feb 17, 2010



Celebrating 5 years of marriage at the Ritz in Shanghai!

A trip to Hangzhou! 

Out with friends - watching the Royal Wedding! 

Henry and our ayi, Ding Ding! 

My lil' sis, Olivia and my Mom coming to visit! 

Our besties in Shanghai- these kiddos spent alot of time together!

And our last night in Shanghai- with my dearest friends, Emily, Charlotte and Heidi! 
Then we were off to Sydney. IT was a quick move. We found out in June that we were going- Jason went to Hong Kong to sign the new work contract, then we went home to Tulsa two weeks later. We announced to all of our family. We were back in Shanghai the first of August and in Sydney by the end of August. TALK about a whirlwind!

We loved Sydney- it was hard at first because it's not an "expat" community like Shanghai, but the beauty and relaxed atmosphere is hard not to love.

It went by too fast really- a year and a half is nothing, especially when we took two trips home for Christmas. But we loved it. We made some amazing friends and enjoyed seeing the sights of Sydney. We went to the beach almost every weekend that we could. :)

Here are some pictures to wrap up our time there:

My two funny boys- how time has flown! Taken over a year ago. :) 

Jack's soccer group! What fun for ALL of us! 

Most of our time spent at the beach. :) 

This would have been Jan's 3rd trip to Sydney! :) 

Our Christmas card pictures- beach time, of course! 

These two are my beach boys! 

Cousins from Oklahoma- Amy and Brendan and their two girls came to see us. :) 

Our last beach time at Bondi! 

Our city! :) This was the first night we were there! 

And our first time to Bondi- not Jason's though! 

Our first trip out to Manly Beach. :) Look how lil' Henry is! 

This was the view from our apartment- 27th floor with spectacular views! 

Jan's 1st trip to Sydney- Opera House and all! 

The most gorgeous sunsets from our apartment! :) 

View from the Taronga Zoo in Sydney. :) 

Northbridge- our area! And where Jack went to school. :) 

Max & Kristie came to visit- now they live there! :) 

We got Jan and Mark to visit again for Henry and I's birthdays in February! 

The boys supporting me on my "Nike She Run's the Night" Run! 
And our last night in Sydney- spent with these great guys! :) 
Farewell to Sydney and off to Hong Kong! It was a great run- we will be back to visit. Now Im hoping to keep up with my blog and chronicle HONKERS! What a serious ride the last 5 years has been. Looking through these pictures it's so hard to believe how our family has expanded, the friendships we've gained, the experiences we've had and shared and the wonderful world that God has blessed upon us.

So looking forward to what the future holds for us....a "cheers" to more great years and more adventures- no matter where life may take us! :) 

Comments

Popular Posts