Cooking with Titi: Corn Cakes

Who's Titi? Well, she's fabulous that's what. She was my "helper" (and I hate that word- so nanny, etc.,) before we hired Tina. I actually found her through an ad online (that sounds bad but things are very safe here in Hong Kong). She ended up being fabulous, but she only needed/wanted a job part time and I need a little bit more help.

Anyway- she's Indonesian and as you can imagine, she's a fabulous cook. But what I love about her is her love and passion for cooking. It's her whole personality with anything. She is so bubbly and just has such a good outlook on life. I don't think I've ever really seen her sad or angry. She's just a really fun person to know.

We came to LOVE Titi's cooking so when our new nanny arrived, I told Titi she was going to have to come back and do cooking lessons with me. She can cook ANYTHING. ANYTHING. In fact, one night I told her we should make chicken parmigiana (because it's Jason's favorite) and she ended up making it better than I ever have before and it was HER FIRST TIME! She's just a natural in the kitchen.

So- I thought I would share some of Titi's recipes with you- maybe do it once a month? She really specializes in Indonesian and Thai- so the flavors are unreal.

Saturday she came and made butter chicken- if you've never had this, then you're missing out! BUT she also made us these crunchy, fabulous and savory corn cakes. They're Jason's favorite. You can eat them as an appetizer, put on the side with salad or I even have decided I"m going to make them the next time I do some chili! :) Yum!

So here's the recipe:

Titi's CORN CAKES:
* 4 Fresh sweet corn- cleaned and shucked off the cob
* 5 garlic cloves- minced
* 1/2 sweet onion-sliced (or chopped)- preference really
* 2-3 kaffir limes- cut into thin slices
* 1 tsp salt & 1 tsp sugar
* 1 tsp coriander powder
* 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup chopped green onions
* 1 cup of fried powder mix (this will be near the flour, breadcrumbs, etc.,)
* 2 eggs
* 2 spoonfuls of fried onions
* 3/4-1 cup of shredded carrots
* 1/4 cup of shredded coconut

-Mix all ingredients together. You can add the veggies (spring onions, carrots, etc.,) to your taste buds. It really doesn't matter. :)
-Heat a shallow pan and add cooking oil (we just used canola oil) - about 1/2 cup. (Thick enough to cover the pan but not to cover the entire patties).
-The mixture will be quite gooey, so once the pan is nice and hot, add in a big spoonful to the pan. (Depending on your pan size, but you can probably do 4-5 at once). T
-Cook through on one side and then flip to the other side. Usually only takes 2-3 minutes per side.
-Then set on a plate with paper towel (to get excess oil off) and they're ready! :)


Most of the ingredients- minus the eggs and powder

Titi busy at what she loves to do! :) 

Titi and I! :) And my TINY kitchen! 

You know these look delicious!




So these definitely aren't considered to be on "Light Cooking" but you know what, they're delicious and in my opinion, one should splurge here and there. Life is too short not too enjoy GOOD food! You know?!!? :) 

ENJOY! :)

Comments

  1. Wow! Cool. I'll bookmark your blog and come back for a look. Does look really yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts