Piriformis Syndrome- Another Running Injury!

You know I've never really had any running injury's ...I can't decide if it's because I turned 30 this year and my body is getting older, or if it's because I'm taking on longer distances. Probably a bit of both, but have recently (and annoying enough!) gotten Piriformis Sydndrome.

I took off about 3 weeks (after I got that hideous burn on my knee) from running, then gradually got back on the treadmill and back in the gym. But I noticed a weird throbbing in my butt afterwards. A tightening of the muscle right on the sciatic nerve- and not only did it hurt when I was standing or walking, but then when I was sitting down. I kept telling Jason, "My butt hurts". So it's kinda been like that the last 3 weeks- on and off. Then last week it got worse after I ran and I could even feel it during my run.

So I did some research on my injury and this is what it is- Piriformis Syndrome- and it's actually a very common running injury. I like to think that I stretch pretty well before and after my workouts (especially my runs) but wasn't doing as much as I should.

Here is an article from WEB MD describing the syndrome (very useful for runners):

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/guide/piriformis-syndrome-causes-symptoms-treatments

And here is another article with some GREAT stretches to do:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/flexibilityandstretching/qt/Piriformis_str.htm

I looked up all of this information Thursday night (because I was in sooo much pain!). So Friday I took a nice long HOT bath - heat is good for injury's like this, then I did some stretches. The best one was where you lie on your back and cross one leg over your knee (as in a triangle) and then pull your leg up to you. Such a good stretch for your hamstring, hips and sciatic area.

Can I tell you that after doing those stretches for two days (about 3 times a day) I could tell a HUGE difference. Major! I went running yesterday and I can still feel it a little, but not nearly what I was.

Anyway- thought I would share as it's SO very important to get in good stretching before any workout or running! :) Run on! :) City to Surf run is in 3 weeks- 75,000 people signed up for it. 9 miles! SO excited! :)

Comments

Popular Posts