Honoring from Afar...

You know I think I have been in a little bit of a funk....usually at this time we are either home or getting ready to go home. And by home, I mean, back to the States. Our home for 24+ year (well Jason and I anyway)- not so much for Henry and Jack.

The 4th of July came and went yesterday for us- just another day- although I was constantly thinking of our family and friends back home. How they were celebrating- the hot summer winds in good ole' Oklahoma. Cook outs, backyards, swimming and fireworks. Does make me a little sad. It's been 6 months since we've been home...and we still have another 5 1/2 to go before we go back for Christmas. Sometimes it seems like an eternity, but then I think about the last 6 months and how they've flown by.

Really I am feeling quite settled here ...and happy. Jack is thriving in school- loving his friends-loving his classmates and everything about everyday! Henry is loving his 2 days of school and then his special days at home with Mommy. And yes, I am feeling quite content here. I've definitely made some friends and finally starting to get out a bit more and meet more.

I have also just started my own photography business here and I'm LOVING that. Really thrilling to be able to go to other countries and just start fresh. To do whatever you want to do. And in a few weeks I'm starting a new book club- AND all Americans. Should be fun. I haven't actually met too many Americans here and it's always nice to meet people from your own country that know what it's like to be an expat or outsider (sometimes you definitely do feel like that here, even though you may look the same).

Anyway- the boys and I are going to make 4th of July cupcakes today for Henry's class tomorrow. He doesn't go on Wednesday or Thursday but we promised some festive cupcakes to celebrate with his "mates" on Friday. :)

I'm putting a few pictures below- these men are who I think of on the 4th. My two grandfather's and Jason's grandpa. Two of them (mine) are no longer here on Earth, but of course still in my heart and surrounding me everyday. I think of them often- and so much yesterday as the USA was celebrating Independence Day!

My grandfather, Tony Jack Lyons, who Jack was named after. Papa Jack actually passed on when Jack was about 9 months old, on July 14th, 2007. I wish Jack could have gotten to know him better- he was such a great man! 

And Jason's grandfather, Carl Sutton. I love this man like he's my own grandfather. This was last summer and I just adore this photo! He's just turned 90 and still in the best shape! 

And my grandfather, Leo Ray. He passed away last September, only a few weeks after we had moved here to Sydney so I didn't get to go home for the funeral. Was so fortunate that we took a trip last summer to Ft. Smith to see him- was the first time for him to meet Henry.
His Birthday is actually today, July 5th- he always said he was the "dud" firecracker that didn't go off! :) I miss this man- so many wonderful memories with my PeePaw!



Definitely one of the hardest parts about being so far away is missing your lovedones, and not getting to spend enough time with them. 4 crazy weeks twice a year is just not enough. 

Happy 4th to everyone back home and cherish the times with your family and friends! Celebrate all that they are! :)

Comments

Popular Posts