Lessons in Major Burns!

I'm having a pity party for myself today- well as I write this, then I shall pass it on. Nothing too severe, but ridiculously burned my leg on Sunday afternoon as I was baking. I have NEVER burned myself and I do quite a bit of cooking- and baking. But I scalded myself so badly that I now have a 2nd degree burn on my leg (right next to my knee). It's about 2" x 8" and it hurts and burns and I cannot believe that I did it.

Here's what happened- and then what to do when you do get such a serious burn. And yes, in this case it is considered a major burn.

I was attempting my first go at Creme brulee's- have never made them and as it is my favorite dessert- I thought I would give it a go. My mother-in-law got me a little blow torch (you know, for the delicious carmelized topping!), so I thought I'd finally try it. Well, before you bake the brulees you are to put boiling water in the roasting pan (that the ramekins sit in). Well, I don't know what I was thinking, and instead of putting the pan on top of the stove to have better access, I left it in the oven and pulled out the oven rack. Bent down to lean over and pour, and of course, excess boiling water spilled over the side and onto my leg!

It was all I could do to not throw the rest of the water on the floor- I cussed and said "S***" and started screaming. Pulled up my pant leg (I was wearing a velour track suit) and had found that the skin had already blistered. It was awful. Then there is Jack (my 5 year old) sitting by his legos and he says, "Mom, you don't say "S***", and of course, he actually said the word. Kinda funny now that I think about it. So then I had to apologize to him (all the while in agonizing pain!) and tell him that it was just necessary right then and there. -He'll definitely understand when he gets older. :)

Anyway- awful what I did to myself and this big wound is going to take some time to heal. What's so bad is that it's right next to my knee- one of the most important areas of your body that has to move back and forth! Everytime I walk it expands and stretches- so you can imagine what it will do when it scabs over. And it's hard sleeping at night finding a comfortable spot without rubbing it or stretching it.

Here's a picture- (I took this Sunday night)-


Yea, so I know anyone that is a nurse is going to be upset. Because I think I did the biggest no no- (because I didn't know) and pulled off the blisters. Apparently your not supposed to do this- fyi. Wish I would have known that, but guess I now do.

Necessary items for treatment

I'm basically watching it for inflammation or swelling- you're supposed to watch for fever too- if there becomes an infection. I do have antibiotics and burn aid. I put that on at least 3-4 times a day and treat with a bandaid and gauze. Of course, I'm not soaking it in water and cleaning it with a wet rag. It stinks though- cold weather has arrived in Sydney and sadly I don't have alot of loose pants. I laughed and told Jason I'm upset I can't wear my skinny jeans! :( ha ha! 

So this is going to be a process- and a painful one at that. BUT I will say, through it all that I think my boys have DEFINITELY gotten the point about hot water and fire. Henry (my youngest) looks at it and says, "Mommy, you have a big ouchie!". Yes, Mommy does have a big ouchie! So through it all, if they learn and it sticks in their heads that they don't mess with, touch or go near hot water and fire, then I'll be happy.

It's also had me thinking alot about burn victims- I can ONLY imagine the pain that people have and go through when they are faced with serious 2nd and more agonizing 3rd degree burns. I did some research because I've been thinking about it- and read that there are nearly 10,000 pediatric burn injuries a year in the United States- and of these, nearly 1/2 were children under the age of 2.

Here is the link that I went to- www.burnsurvivor.com . It's for the Burn Survivor Resource Center and they have some great information. I think that I'm always really careful when the boys are in the kitchen and always tell them "No", "Fire", "Hot", but you never know what could happen. And as a parent, it's so important to watch your children like a hawk when you are cooking and they come in the kitchen, because as we know, children are curious and sometimes just don't know the seriousness of our words or what their actions can cause.

Silly Mom- still can't believe I did this! Ah well- live and learn right? And...be careful when cooking...and watch your kiddos! :)

Comments

  1. oh my word, emily!!! that looks so painful!! I'll pray it heals soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts