Greatest Combo- Oyster Crackers & Chow Down Chili

Well, fall is here- well, supposed to be here. This last weekend it was a bit chilly so I thought it only fitting to make the perfect combo- oyster crackers and chili! Funny now though as I'm writing this because it was a toasty 80 degrees today!

Anyway, here are my delicious recipes. And what is so great- is that it's even better the second day...and the third (if there is enough leftover).

Ranch Oyster Crackers
1 package of dry ranch mix
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 tsp dill
1/2 tsp lemon pepper or garlic powder (or both)
16 oz. oyster crackers

Throw the crackers in a big ziploc bag, then add oil, mix and seasoning. Toss and mix the bag. Place crackers on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes at 250 degrees. *I sometimes use spicy ranch- we like a little zest in our life. :)

By the way, these are the MOST amazing and addicting. Henry is obsessed and hums when he eats them. They're yummy as an appetizer, or to put in any soup or stew.

Chow Down Chili
So everyone has their own chili recipes and I don't really want to write ALL the ingredients because sometimes I use different items. BUT here are my secrets that I do everytime-
*I use a mixture of minced pork and minced lean beef (and I don't drain the meat after cooking)
*I always use sauteed onions and garlic with the meat
*I always let the meat and tomatoes simmer for 20 minutes in about a half a bottle of beer (any good dark beer) and 1 cube of beef bullion, then I add the beans the last 10 minutes to cook.

Everyone has different favorite toppings? I always like extra chopped onions and cheese. Sometimes sliced avocadoes or sour cream. AND of course, oyster crackers. WEll, sometimes some good ole' corn bread too!

I've definitely needed some read meat this week- this training is about to do me in! Did I mention that I have the Sydney Herald 1/2 Marathon coming up- it's in less than 2 weeks. Well, it's in 10 days! I did my farthest run on Monday- 9.3 miles. And I've totally given up Diet Coke. I haven't had one in over a month. I really don't miss it- I actually just miss having caffeine in the afternoon!

I'll conquer the 1/2 marathon but don't know if I can do the full in September- it might do me in! :) Very proud of myself though- definitely takes alot of training, hard work and drive. Big props to anyone that does big runs or similar training.

Comments

Popular Posts