On the brain...yet another move...

So we all knew this was coming- a new move. Last year when Jason signed his contract with EP&T Global (his current company) we knew that Sydney was only temporary. His position for hire was to start up the new Hong Kong office and manage, but they weren't ready quite yet so we came to Sydney. It'll actually be a year the end of this month! Crazy to think about it.

But, of course, we are now in serious talks of our move to Hong Kong. I'm so torn! I knew that Sydney was short term (we were in Shanghai for 3 1/2 years), but were just feeling settled. So now thinking about another move is a little stressful.
Okay, stressful is not really the word to use. There are many- exciting, anxious, nervous, hard, fun, new, adventurous- I mean, I could go on and on forever.

The thing about it is, no one really knows how many emotions go into such a daunting and life-changing move. I remember last summer when I went to my OBGYN and my cycle still wasn't normal (this is almost a year after I stopped breast feeding Henry). When I told him what was going on in our life- we were preparing for a move to Sydney, he told me that "moving" was one of the top 5 stressful things that a person can go through- and this doesn't even include moving to a new country.

It's funny to think about though- both our moves to Shanghai and Sydney were totally different. I think Shanghai was easier in a way because we had our apartment picked out before we moved (Jason and I took a "looksie" and picked it out two months before we moved). So we had a "home" to go too. Jason had co-workers (with wives!) that were from Tulsa. AND Jack was only 18 months old.

When we moved to Sydney it was all so fast- we signed the contract in June, went home to Tulsa 2 weeks later, spent 5 weeks there, then back to Shanghai for 3 1/2 weeks, then moved! IT was a whirlwind. AND we had a serviced apartment while we searched for our new "home". Also, because Jack is older, I immediately had to start researching schools for him to attend.

SO, to make our move to Hong Kong easier (I mean, I should know how to do it by now- this will be our 3rd international move!!!!), I'm starting now with my researching.

First, I have to decide where we want Jack to go to school because we will want to find housing close by. That's the most important. Then everything goes around that. But finding a school- LORD! There are a hundred choices- I mean, I know it's only kindy/1st grade, but all the expat forums online are so ridiculously confusing.

The best thing to do when moving to a new place (whether it be across States or internationally) is to somehow get in touch with someone that has lived there  or lives there now. AND talk with them via email/phone so you have a good idea about all the conditions on moving, areas, etc.,

I have alot of work to do- and while it is somewhat stressful (makes Mama want a glass of wine now!), it is really exciting. I've loved our "homes" overseas- we've met so many amazing people and had, really the experiences of a lifetime- memories we'll never forget. However, I think this may be our last move. As much as I've loved our "expat" life, I miss the good ole' USA. :)

Comments

Popular Posts