Keeping Time for Yourselves! A perfect night out in Sydney!

I have always been a firm believer in making sure we have plenty of "date" nights and alone time. It is absolutely essential in a marriage - especially when you have kids. However, just as life does, it's hard to carve out that special time. Especially hard living here in Sydney where we have no family to babysit and the sitters here cost anywhere from $15-25 an hour! What? Yes- it's true.
So it's been a bit crazy here and I don't think we've gone out alone (we do try and do lunches on Friday when Henry's at school) since May. We used to do date nights at least once or twice a month.
Anyway, I mentioned casually (well, maybe I might have demanded) that I needed a little romance and for Jason to plan something. Usually I do most of the planning. So Jason told me about a week ago that he had arranged for a whole night out to be spent at the Shangri-La Hotel (right near the Opera House)! I almost fell over! Of course, I immediately asked "well, what about the boys?". All taken care of, he said! Alright...sounds good to me!
His good friend and co-worker, Brett, and his girlfriend, Simone, came over Saturday afternoon and after a run down of the boys and their schedule we walked out the door. Can I tell you how weird it was? Weird and wonderful all at the same time!
Jason even had the whole evening planned. We went to the hotel and checked in- the Shangri-La is one of the nicer ones here in town and has amazing views of the Harbour. If you're traveling through, this is a great place to stay as it is centered around alot of the hot spots- http://www.shangri-la.com/sydney/shangrila



We then went up to the Blu Bar on floor 36- great view up there and great drinks! I had a drink called "The Paradise"...a few types of liquor topped with Prosecco. It was divine! :) 
Next, we went to an underground bar called Palmers & Co. It was a parking lot transformed into a 1940's pub- so cute and so neat. Here's a website describing it:


The coasters at the pub- hilarious!


I just had a glass of wine, and Jason had some scotch concoction. Then we shared a charcuterie board- yummy salami, proscuitto, goats cheese and bread! It was perfect after my stiff drink earlier. :) It was such a neat bar- even the waitresses had on the proper 40's attire. 

Then we went from there to Woolloomooloo- an area in Sydney- about a 5 minute taxi ride from our hotel. We ate at a restaurant called Kingsley's. Deemed the "Best steak and crabhouse in Sydney". Here's their site:


I haven't had a whole lot of steaks in Sydney, but this one was the best that I've ever had. DELICIOUS! So juicy and tender- I would go back there again and again. Jason had a "man's salad" with his steak- this is the Aussie term for french fries (what they call "chips") dipped in mashed potatoes. Seriously funny! :) 

Not only was it a great night, but we got to sleep in (what?!?! unheard of!), lounge around, then took a stroll along "The Rocks" area. We got our coffees, muffins and croissants and strolled around the area. It was wonderful! 

A big thanks of course to our babysitters, to the boys that did so well and to my hubby for knowing how very much I needed that. Granted I don't think you have to do that every time, but getting time for yourselves as a couple - as parents- is so very important! Keep the love alive! :) 

A few pics of our night to end with....
The bar- Palmers & Co. that we went to- so cool! 

Jason's scotch drink and my wine. Loved the glasses! 

CHEERS TO MY LOVIN' HUBBY! 

One of the stores at "The Rocks"

Lil' bit of Aussie clothing.

And this is what you get EVERYWHERE in Sydney- rows and rows of bakeries and pastry shops!
It's a killer because they are all so delicious! 

Sunday morning stroll along The Rocks

The beautiful Opera House!

We walked around during this festival- tons of tents set up.

Again- love the old buildings- this is the oldest "pub" in Sydney

Comments

Popular Posts