City to Surf Run

What a fun Sunday! Way to start out the upcoming spring- well it's on it's way I think!

I did my first City 2 Surf Run here in Sydney- it's one of the biggest and most popular. Um, I guess so- there were 85,000 people that RAN it. That doesn't include all of the spectators, and cheering family and friends around. It was manic but so fun!

I got up early on Sunday morning- well Henry woke me up (he's my lil' alarm clock) and got ready. Had a little bit of coffee then made sure I was all packed. AND that the boys were all packed. They were going to meet me down at Bondi.

I took the train into the city- the start of the race was at Hyde Park (right in the city center), then ended at the famous Bondi Beach. Now I knew this was a big race but had no idea just how crazy it really was.

I started in the yellow group (2nd to last group) and we started at 9:05. But I don't think that I really started running until about 9:25 because the crowd was so massive. It was interesting though- lots of people dressed up- I saw gorillas, Shrek family, pirates, wonder Women (some with outfits a little too short) and this and that and everything else.

In fact, about 5km in, there was a big group of guys Smurfs- yes, all painted blue and dressed up. They were standing on the side of road cheering people along- (tons of people did this along the way). However, one of them, as I was running by, swatted me on the bum with some sort of yard stick. Um, and it stung! So much in fact, that the next Police officer I saw, I stopped and told him. His response (that Jason and the guys thought was so funny) was, "Are those smurfs causing trouble again?". I have no idea if he did anything but it definitely added a bit of drama to my run.

The run was nice- including "Heartbreak Hill". The deadly hill (literally two people have died running it) that just kept going and going and going and going. The only nice thing about it was the incredible view of houses and the bay that you saw to the side. :)

Great run- 14km (9 miles) and ended on beautiful Bondi Beach. I even saw the boys and Jason near the finish line looking and cheering for Mommy!

The start of our race! The people just keep going and going! 

One of the views of our run! Gorgeous! 

The que coming up the beach after we wrapped around the finish line! 

Afterwards we went to some friend's house, Brett and Simone, for an Aussie barbeque. The boys had a blast- we ate, drank and loved visiting with them and new friends that we met. Great Sunday and a great run! Now I just have to add 4 miles for my 1/2 marathon that's coming up in 4 weeks! :)

Comments

Popular Posts