Celebrating a Year...

Yes, we have lived in Sydney for exactly 1 year. Hard to believe, as it seems just like yesterday we were landing in this crazy city! A new adventure for the Wiltshire's- a decision that was prayed over, but nonetheless quick and quite a whirlwind.

Basically Jason got his full offer for this new job/position in June, signed the contract the end of June (in Hong Kong). We were home two weeks later to the States. Spent about 5 weeks there, then back to Shanghai. We were only there for 3 1/2 weeks before we packed everything up and moved to Sydney.

I still remember Jason's co-workers picking us up from the airport. Then driving over the famous bridge- and thinking, wow! This is our new home.

I didn't really know what to expect or what to do. We arrived on a Sunday morning and got settled into our serviced apartment. Had a nice breakfast around the corner and walked around for a bit. Then back to the apartment for showers and sleep (we were all jet lagged).

That night we took our rental car out- Jason's first time to drive on the left side of the road! Ah- it was hilarious. I have it on video and it was hysterical. Don't knock it til you've tried it- it's not that easy!

Then let me just tell you that my husband promised me that he would have at least a few days at home with us- you know, helping us settle in, working on finding a home, etc., Did that happen? Of course not. He was straight to work that next morning (Monday morning).

So, try being in a foreign country without knowing anyone, no internet, no phone and no car- well, we had a car, but I wasn't ready to drive yet. I think Jason did come back at lunch to give me a cellphone and a wireless port so I could access the internet. Good for him that he did!

It was an interesting first week to say the least. A few good moments, but mostly not. :) It was actually like a scene out of some crazy comedy. I was tortured with having to go to open house after open house with the boys. Mind you I was just learning how to drive on the opposite side of the road (and the opposite side of the car), with two boys and a HUGE city to try and navigate through.

On top of that, the open houses for rentals are only open for 15 minutes. SOOO, in my state of driving, let's just say I didn't make many of the showings. And, one day (while driving around looking at houses), Jack threw up all over himself in the back of the car. That was about breaking point #5 for me...for the week. Then, two days later- same thing, different child. Driving around like a nut, trying not to kill all of us, and trying to find us a home...and Henry throws up all over himself in the back. Really???? It feels so ridiculous now that it's almost funny. How does that happen to someone in one week- while they're in their first week in a new city!

Needless to say, Jason knew that I needed a break and a nice night out. So, I drove ourselves down to Manly Beach where I was FINALLY able to see what this beautiful city was all about. Walking around on the beach and seeing the amazing sunset was all worth the crazy week that we had been having.

We then went and had a wonderful dinner on the beach at "Manly Grill". It was perfect! It was that night when I knew that no matter what difficulties we had been through that this was a beautiful city and I had my wonderful family here to enjoy it with me. God was showing me that night how blessed we really were- here in Australia to once again enjoy and treasure a great adventure.

Of course, there have been ups and downs this year, but overall this has been another great experience. This truly is one of the most beautiful cities!

Looking forward to whatever amount of time we may have here- !

A few pictures from our first week in Sydney- followed by some we took last night!

Tunks Park- right down the street from our first apartment here

First trip out to Manly Beach!

Henry's 3rd country to visit! 2nd to call home!

Beautiful sunset!

And here we are- a year later!

How he's grown in just a year!

My beautiful funny boys!




Comments

Popular Posts