Baby Phillip Arrives!

Yes, my little darling is now 2 weeks old and I'm just now doing this blog, but you know what, I'm enjoying all my time with him! This is my last little baby and I'm obsessed with all my moments with him- because we all know how quickly time passes with our children! Plus, I do have my other two boys and my hubby so it's been interesting trying to figure out everyone's new role.

Anyway- I suppose I should write about lil' one's rather dramatic arrival. I think enough time has passed that I can talk about it, though Jason is still not ready to talk about it. (And not that he didn't before but he certainly has a new found respect for me and what I went through to get his son born into this world!).

Funny how the day worked out and how God was definitely watching over us. I had been somewhat panicking because Jason's office is a good hour away and the last thing I wanted to do was take a taxi to the hospital (if no friends were available). Anyway, Thursday morning (the 22nd) I told Jason I was bored of waiting and knew he wasn't going to come so why not go out that night for dumplings (yes my favorite). So I drove to school to pick up the boys (I was having a bit of contractions but not too bad). However, when we picked the boys up, Henry was not feeling too well. He said his ear hurt, so I told Jason to scrap the dinner idea and we'd do it the next night.

So we came home and I'm sitting here with little Henry watching Alladin and the contractions start getting a little more intense. I still didn't think much of it and didn't call Jason. This was about 4:00 p.m. We watch the movie and then I tell the boys it's time to go upstairs and get a bath. So about 5:30 I'm up there thinking okay, these contractions are getting a little more intense and closer together. (I actually downloaded one of those nifty contraction counters on my phone and was keeping track). Then it starts to hit me that this is actually happening- and pretty quickly. So I send Jason a message and tell him he needs to come home. So he immediately leaves.




Henry and I watching the movie (as I'm having mild contractions) and he's, of course, laying on the belly! Maybe a little bonding time before Phillip came out! :) 

BUT they start coming quicker and quicker and my messages to Jason are getting more frantic - I honestly had no clue how quickly this baby was going to come. FINALLY he makes it- I'm sitting on the stairs waiting (Tina had already packed the car up and, of course, made Jason a sandwich). He runs up the stairs, changes really quick and then were off. And ugh- dealing with HK traffic was ridiculous- on top of being in active labor- not the funnest!

We make it to the hospital right at 7 p.m. and let me tell you how fun it was trying to walk the halls to the maternity ward and stopping every 3 to 4 minutes and bending over in pain. All the lovely stares I got from the Chinese walking around- as if I want to be stared at while in such pain. Enough of the staring!

Finally we get checked in and I'm only dilated to a 3! Ugh. SO I get in my gown- though they made me wear two tops- and I don't know why- but I was a hot sweaty mess! Of course the first thing I ask for too is an epidural (I had with both Jack and Henry!) and they tell me it will take a few hours to get it. What? WHY? I'm sure I was screaming at them at this point. So about an hour goes on and in between my trips to the bathroom I see all these other girls on my floor that are just hanging out- reading, sleeping, eating and playing on their phones! I was in the first preterm labor ward- they moved you in stages, so once you got to a 5 they moved you to the next ward, then obviously to the delivery room after that.

So about two hours of this go by and I'm finally yelling at my nurses that I need something for pain and that my contractions are coming quicker and quicker and quicker. Finally one of the nurses gives me this electromagnetic pulser that goes on your back- it's supposed to "trick your mind" and distract you from the pain. Good lord- it did nothing! I tell her it did nothing and she says I can have the gas but I can't have it til I get to the next labor ward. Oh dear! (Mind you this whole time Jason has to stay out in the hallway- husbands aren't allowed til the delivery room).

The whole frustrating thing about this point (and after) was everytime they came to check on me they asked me questions or asked me to move this way or that RIGHT in the middle of a contraction. Can you talk or do anything but focus on the pain during contractions? Of course not. So there I am putting my hand up signaling "Don't even talk to me right now". What a trip!

So then at about 10:30 I make another trip to the bathroom- and what happens- my water breaks as I'm in the stall! And as I mentioned before I had epidurals with both older boys, so you think I knew anything about the pain that suddenly surged through my body. What did I do? Oh I screamed and I screamed loud! Straight out of a movie! Jason later said he could hear me screaming (and as I was the only foreigner there at the time he knew it was me). Crazy foreign lady can't control herself is what the other gals probably thought - because you know the Chinese don't really through a fuss and keep their cool in times like these.

The nurses come running into the bathroom and start yelling at me through the door. Then I have to get on a bed- again, one of the nurses tells me to do this during a contraction- as if I can move! Quickly I am wheeled out into the hallway- past Jason (he's yelling at the nurses that he needs to be with me)- I'm thinking I don't care where you are I just want this baby out!

And then it happened so quickly- I went from breaking my water and then this little angel arrived at 11:06 p.m. (all within 30 minutes). Once I was wheeled into the delivery room they got me the gas (I don't think it helped at all and it made me want to throw up!). As I mentioned before too- straight out of a movie- I'm screaming, trying to breathe, trying to focus, begging my doctor for something more for pain- you name it I said it. I told Jason later that I survived a natural delivery- I didn't rock it like a pro- but I survived and managed and that's all that mattered (no matter how loud or rowdy I was!). I even grabbed my doctors arm at one point and she said, "Emily, I can't help you if I don't have this arm!". ha ha! :)

Then it was funny ( I can say this now) but when I got to the 10 and was ready to push, they asked me if they wanted me to go get Jason. (Apparently it took him awhile to get in there because he had to get properly dressed). I said, "No, just get this baby out of me!". Again- it was a dramatic and eventful delivery- one I'm sure the hospital won't be forgetting for awhile! Crazy laowai (mandarin for foreigner)!!

I will say (and it might be a little TMI for some) but I think the "best" part about the actual delivery was feeling his head. Like I mentioned, I had an epidural with Jack (Henry was a c-section) so I felt nothing when Jack came out. But with Phillip, I could obviously feel everything and it was somewhat surreal and special feeling his little head coming out. And after that it was fine because I knew I could do it- only 3 more pushes and he was out. That was it. It did it. It was over and this beautiful little angel (that barely made a sound) was laid on my chest. I just sat there holding him and looking at this sweet little mushy face that was finally here. I could finally see what he looked like and hold him- one of the best feelings in the world! :)

Jason actually came into the room right as he was coming out- and of course, walked in and saw everything. AND if anyone knows my husband, they know that he doesn't do "blood" and all that fun stuff too well- the man can barely get a shot without getting woozy (my big tough football hubby!). So I remember him coming over and stroking on my head and asking me if everything is okay, and telling me to breathe (I was still in alot of pain). He's looking at our new little one on my chest and were both in complete awe over this new little guy. (I forgot to add- and I still think this is hilarious- but when he came out, they raised him up in the air bum facing me and said, "is this a boy" and all I see are big boy parts and I'm thinking, is this a joke? so I just reply, "yes" because I was really at a loss of words). ha ha!

The nurses then try to ask us if we want to take a picture together- and I'm so not in the mood for a picture- not to mention I'm half undressed. Jason tells the nurses no, but of course, they ask about 3 more times. All we wanted to do was share this moment together and not worry about any pictures. Then about 2 minutes later he looks at one of the nurses and says he has to step out of the room for a moment. Come on! I'll laugh now but honestly- he says that he saw too much and the room was too hot. He says he didn't need a full time out but a "20 second break" from the game. Good gosh! Again- this is why God did not intend for men to have babies! :)

Lil' Phillip (my hungry boy!) started nursing straight away. I've never done that with my other babies- I was always back in the room. But I was there still in the delivery room and they told me to start nursing him. So I did. And he took to it immediately. In fact, he nursed on both sides for at least 10-15 minutes. Right out of the womb and already a big eater!

Now I will admit the room was bloody hot- I had totally stripped myself of both of the gowns they had on me (from the waist up). (WHY on earth the Chinese always feel like you need to be stuffed full of heat- no cold air for mommys or babies). However, it took time for Jason to come back in because apparently once he left the room, they made him change outfits and masks all over again! ha ha again! :)

And that was it- that was our delivery story. Jason says he's still not quite ready to talk about it all (apparently too traumatic for him!). But I will say that he was the best Mr. Mom afterwards. School runs, grocery runs, etc., and made sure I had everything I could have possibly needed. Even with full time help it's nice knowing your other boys are well taken care of, so I could spend the first 36 hours bonding with my new little one.

So Phillip Hunt Wiltshire has been fully welcomed into this crazy household- he's a blessing (just like our two others) in every way that we could have possibly imagined. We are truly blessed- and we can't wait for our friends and family back home to meet this snuggly bear! :)

Shot of the little guy in his bed- he stayed with me the majority of the time. 

Snuggle time with Daddy! 

Our view outside of our room- delivered at Prince of Wales Hospital 

Look at them long feet! And super long toes like Mommy too! 

Ready to go home- all strapped in and trying to beat the HK heat! 

Comments

Popular Posts