Hong Kong: Sampan boat in Sai Kung

Ah our first boat trip in Hong Kong! Seriously something I would recommend- and you can go in a little cheap boat or you can go completely extravagant and be cruising in royal accommodations across the Hong Kong waters! I researched all of this for ages- and just last week Sai Kung came out with an article in their magazine on all the boat rentals- wish I would have had that then. HERE is a great article from the magazine- will give you enough information, depending on what exactly you are wanting to do. 

I knew (once again) that we needed to get there early- especially because it was Easter weekend. So we arrived about 10 a.m. I had no boat hired, but there are tons of stalls located along the waterfront with locals just begging for your business. My advice is to get a few (3 to 4) prices from varying vendors and then make a decision. It's also wise to know where you are wanting to go, though most of them have maps showing where they can take you- and they know the most popular destinations/islands. 

I haggled (which I hate doing- too many years in Shanghai) and got us a pretty good deal (I think). Of course the guy kept telling me it was more expensive because it was a holiday (whatever, I didn't care!), but we got 4 hours of a sampan boat to take us to 3 different islands for $1000HK. Not a bad deal I thought- since there was 5 of us. And, of course, I had to have some comment from the guy- he said, "You no go on fast boat, you only need slow". "Too fast and you bounce and not good for baby". Yes, thank you! :) 

So we got our deal- then off to the Seven Elevens to get a few more snacks and drinks and to a few of the surf/sun stores. The boys, of course, needed a few beach toys (probably not- but Nana thought so). 

Then off on our adventure! Can I just tell you that I think our driver looked to be about 85- we were wondering if she was even going to make it. But the boat was fun- it's not comfortable by any means- I sat on a towel on the bench, then at one point moved to the floor. Which is fine- we went slowly- but it's so neat to see all the different islands and explore that area by boat. Hong Kong is really quite beautiful- something I never really expected! 

Our first stop was Kau Sai Fisherman- not a lot to see there, but interesting. It is a tiny little village (I'm sure only about 20 people live there), but there is a temple and pretty views. We were only there about 20 minutes. We let the boys run around and took a few pictures. 

So on the way, we went by Hap Mun Bay (Sharp Island)- the guy had told me that's the best place to stop and get in the water (so of course we wanted to go there last). So when our driver asked us if we wanted to stop there first, we said, no. Well you can imagine as we left the island, for some reason we started heading back to Sai Kung...and it had only been an hour and a half. We still had 2 1/2 hours left. So I pointed and told her on the map that we wanted to go back to Sharp Island. Oh dear! She got so upset- and she only spoke Cantonese. So she's yelling and Jason's yelling and I'm trying to tell her (in my mandarin) that we still have 2 1/2 hours left and we want to go swim at the beach. Ugh! The boys kept talking about how mean she was. So thankfully I had the guys number (that spoke English) and he translated to her what we wanted. (SO NOTE: make sure you have FULLY communicated with your driver before you leave!). 

All sorted- we got to the island and unpacked all our beach gear and picnic lunch. And that's where we spent the next 2 1/2 hours- having lunch, wading in the water and laying on the sand. You can rent an umbrella and a few water toys, but not as accommodating as Shek O Beach....and not near as big. But it was a great afternoon. 

The boys loved swimming out to the dock with Daddy and hanging out (like it was their own special landing) and jumping off. It wasn't too crowded when we got there, but certainly was by the time we left (about 2:30). They do have restrooms and a snack bar (though mostly asian snacks) so I would definitely bring your own food and/or drinks. 

It was a great little adventure- not too long- and perfect for small kiddos...and a pregnant mama! :) 

Here are some of our pics from our outing: 

Our driver- he he! :) And the inside of our boat- not luxurious by any means! 

And my little boat boys- :) 



@ Kau Sai Fishermen Village 

The boys dock- I swam out there too- big belly and all! 

View of the beach- and all of the Chinese children that were petrified to even put there feet in the water! 


Henry was laying down on the bottom of the boat- and demonstrating his sit up skills. 

And our boat off in the distance- she just waited out there for us til we were ready! :) 

Comments

Popular Posts