Hong Kong: Harbour Grand Hotel- Home away from Home

So I found us a great deal for when we were moving. Trust me, when you've done this enough, you know that finding a "serviced hotel" or short term apartment is so important. This is where you will spend the first month or so once you move to a new country.

Our place in Sydney was found by someone that worked for Jason's company- and again, you want something done right, do it yourself. I am not a brat by any means, but yes, I like nice things and that includes where I stay. Jason would probably stay anywhere- as would the boys. But as someone wise once said (Yea Mr. Bartlett!), "If mama aint happy, no one is happy!"!

I searched for a few good weeks on finding someplace to stay. Finally I found a spot I wanted, but knew I had to get the price down. And for those of you that know anything about Asia, EVERYTHING IS NEGOTIABLE- and that includes hotels. After 3 or 4 days of negotiating, I finally got the gal down to the price we needed.

Now, the room/suite was a little smaller than what we would have hoped for, but this was what came with:
*A superb area- complete with international food stores, kids playgrounds, walkway along the pier/water, international restaurants (including Outback Steakhouse), and pretty big shopping malls (including Toys R Us and home stores)
*maid cleaning EVERYDAY- thank goodness! Ping was our maid- she was fabulous- even lined up our shoes by the door in a row
*superb attention and friendliness by the staff- they even helped Jason book a sitter one night for my birthday so we could go out alone!
*amazing food- pricey, yes, but excellent
*amazing views-
*a pool and fitness center- vital for all

There wasn't much that they didn't have. It was comfortable, relaxing and quite wonderful. OH- the hotel was the Harbour Grand Hotel in Whampoa, here's the site: http://www.harbourgrand.com/kowloon/luxury-hotel-,default-en.html
They have another one in Central as well- Jason has stayed there as well and equally nice.

Here are some photos:

Rooftop pool and the great view- well when it's nice! 

Plenty of room to have some sun and have a drink! 


Our living room- plenty of room for a short term stay

The Harbour Grand!

Entry- they had lots of weddings while we were there. :) 

Our room- not bad. :) 

Right outside of our hotel- the walkway- and it goes all the way to the Avenue of the Stars in TST. I ran it a few times. The boys and I took lots of strolls in the area






Now I will say (and you'll find this out if searching for a hotel) that it's not like in the US where the standard rooms are either 1 King or 2 Queens. It's usually 1 kind and/or 2 twins. So try fitting a family of four in one room. It doesn't work so well.

Anyway- we thoroughly enjoyed our time at the Harbour Grand. But like everything with a big move, we didn't get our house in time, no our shipment so we had to extend past the month lease. Well, of course, the month terms you can always get cheaper. Needless to say, we didn't get the deal we wanted (well, we did, but I had already booked at another hotel and it was too late to cancel!! UGH!) so we had to move.

We are now at the Harbour Plaza Metropolis- right next to the Hung Hom MTR Station. Now, while it has great access to the train, I'm not happy with it. At all. Miserable. I'm counting down the days. Jason keeps trying to tell me to think positively- well I am- positively that we have 4 more nights in this wretched place and I"m out of here! ha ha!

Now, as I mentioned, I have high standards. The hotel is not that bad but long term (we booked 10 days) it is. The service is sub par, the waiting lines downstairs are atrocious, the furniture, decor, bedding, etc., is all mediocre. We do have nice views and the pool is nice. There, I said something nice. :)

Anyway- T minus 3 days until we are in our house! 4 more sleeps- as Jack would say! :)

Cannot wait!!!

Comments

Popular Posts