Hong Kong- Day 2

Well, our first full night of sleep was a bit successful- always a little rough with small kids and jetlag though. And not easy waking up in a small hotel room at 4:30/5 a.m. I mean, what are you going to do with them then? And let me just tell you that the "Disney" channel in Asia is not the same- not the same. :)

AND WHAT A DAY- a big Happy Happy Birthday to my sweet little Henry! How funny and ironic that our little Chinese tiger gets to come back to his birthplace to celebrate his 3rd Birthday! Nothing too exciting planned today but we did have a fun birthday celebration in Tulsa before we left. Our big boy is happy though- he's got Mommy and Daddy, Jack and a whole new city! :)

Needless to say we were up at breakfast somewhat early- and might I add that this is difficult to wait around for because Hong Kong time standards are different. Early here is not 6, 7, or 8, but more 9 or 10. Most shops and stores here don't open until at least 10:30 or 11, some even 12. Tell me how that's fun with kids?

Little bit of Chinese New Year decorations in the hotel- I love these! 


Once breakfast was over, Jason ventured us on to the good ole' subway. Now, let me just tell you that I barely took the subway in Shanghai- I think maybe twice. It is beyond crowded, difficult, and nasty. Sydney was different- it was really nice and easy. And Hong Kong is great too- now it's really crowded, but it's really well air-conditioned and pretty nice. Not that I'll be doing it anytime soon by myself- I still prefer to take a taxi. :)

I cannot tell you how much this cracks me up! Notice the train is not that full- it's only 10:30 on Sunday morning so not a lot of traffic yet! 


We went across the water (well under it on the subway) and into Central- the busy economic centre of the city. Jason took us to some of the areas that he's used to- where he's had alot of business meetings before, etc.,

View from one of the walkways. :) 

How our little man likes to get around- notice how he is almost too big for the rafters above! 


We got off the subway and walked up the steps to the walkway (they have above ground walkways over the busy streets for easier access) and were blown away by all of the Filipinos that were all along the walkways. EVERYWHERE. Jason said he didn't know why they were there. They had makeshift boxes that they made little forts out of (no roofs- just siding) and sat on. They were at least a couple thousand. And they all just sat and were eating and talking. It was bizarre. (FYI- Filipinos are a major source of the "domestic help" here in Hong Kong. They come over and look for help and are hired by alot of expats and alot of Asians as nannys/house cleaners. I did found out from our real estate agent that they come to different areas of the city on their day off (Sunday) to have a place to all get together. They were just hanging out.)

Anyway- we went over to the IFC building. It's massive and beautiful. High end retail, little swanky grocery stores and tea shops. The malls amaze me here- you could literally walk around in them for days and see things/items that you've never seen before or imagined really. You can only imagine how wonderful it is for me. :)

And alas, I also found me a CitySuper. Heaven! It's a foreign grocery store- well, it's actually a Japanese owned store- but they have items from all over and including a TON of western items. Now it is and can be pricey, but hey, when you're looking for some of your favorite cereals or cheeses that you always have back home, then you'll pay. The store is pristine too- beautiful and organized and just what you miss sometimes. It was a huge comfort to see- Jason new I was happy then. And yes, sometimes it's definitely the little things that you find when abroad that can make the WORLD of difference.

Ah beautiful! Milks, cheese, yogurts, TURKEY BACON! 

I mean- seriously- little things in life! 


After our journey through CitySuper, Jason took us to lunch at Crystal Jade. I think I mentioned yesterday I was only wanting "comfort" food, well, today I was ready for some Asian food. Another FYI- we- all of us - love DUMPLINGS. Xiao long bao- delicious! Jason found this restaurant on a past trip and it was yummy. (not as yummy as Din Tai Fung- previous post!), but still delicious. Jack even tried to use chopsticks- and was quite successful.

Our little Birthday Boy! Ready for his dumplings! 


He'll master them before we leave! 


Rest assured, after a big meal we were ready for another "jetlag" nap.

After our nap- which went to about 5 p.m. (too late too late!), we got up to go find me a cellphone plan. Can I tell you that this is NOT easy? We thought it would be- I was ready for my iPhone 5. Nope. They wanted us to pay $1000 US dollars- now you get it back after time, but who's going to pay that up front. Part of it is because we don't have our HK Visa or I.D. yet and no permanent address. Ugh.

So after an hour and a half of this nonsense, we head off to dinner. I found a Pizza Express (they had one in Shanghai in Xintandi)- www.pizzaexpress.com.hk
It's actually really good pizza. We went to the one on Ashley Road- in the TST area. Poor little Henry was so tired (still!) that he literally fell asleep while on Jason's shoulder. Just laid his sweet head on Jason's and I look over and he was passed out! Too cute for words.

I missed the shot of him falling asleep on his shoulders- Jason moved too quickly for me!


So off we went to dinner whilst Henry napped on the sofa. :) Not a monumental day for the little guy- or anyone else- but were getting over jetlag and trying to get accustomed to our new city. :) It takes time....

Comments

Popular Posts