New Place to Call "Home"

Well, we finally have a place of our own! Hard to believe after nearly 3 months of living at my parents house. And God thank them...I know it was not easy having 3 kids (including a baby), a big dog and 2 extra adults. I know they loved having us, but there is a reason I believe that your kids one day move out and move on. ha ha!

We are just renting right now. It actually seems almost comical, because if I was looking for houses in HK or Sydney, I would have loved any that we would have come across in Tulsa. I mean, laundry rooms (those don't really exist), big kitchens, yards (seriously?), closets (do you know that our last house had NONE!). BUT when you're buying and not renting, I think you tend to be a little bit more picky and we just haven't found anything that we're truly crazy about.

I wish I would have taken a picture of all the boxes that we had in our garage. But mental image if you will- we have a 3 car garage and once I got unfinished unpacking them all- our entire garage was full- and to the top. Terrible. Do you know that when we made our first move to Shanghai we took our master king bed and about 15 boxes? Now we ended up with rooms filled with furniture and about 250 boxes.

My mother in law was asking how I get it unpacked and done so quickly. Well, do you know how many moves I've had in the last 7 years? Out it goes. Now it's not all in it's place and I still have quite a bit of work to do, but everything is out of the boxes. Not to mention I tend to be a little OCD so it more or less has to be done so I don't see the boxes. No rest until that's done!

The house is great and who knows...we could make it our own! We have tons of space- but you know how children are, they want to be right where you are. So the whole upstairs with their massive bedrooms and a huge game room are virtually unused. Not to mention my little Jack is now scared to go up there by himself. He slyly cons Henry into always going upstairs with him.

AND we LOVE our neighbors. Couldn't be more nice and friendly. It's a great neighborhood so we are really blessed. Does make us miss our fabulous neighbors we had in Hong Kong though too- sometimes you find the greatest friends just next door.

One downside of moving this much is the cost. I mean when you move into a new house you usually have to buy a few new things (to fit the house because not every house is the same) but I'm talking over and above now. Meaning we have had to buy new electronics in EVERY place we have lived. And yes, we've done a few used purchases online, etc., but think about how much one uses- TV's, VCR's, coffee machines, blenders, hair dryers!, lamps,...the list goes on and on. Why in the world do we not all have the same voltage and watts. Kills me. It will take some time to get all those electronics that we need. It would be a fortune to buy it all at once!

This house more and more is becoming our "home" though I've always told the boys that our "HOME" is just where our family lies. A "house" has just been an object for us over the last 7 years...a place to put our things, a place to make memories, a place to lay our head at night after our adventures, a place to welcome new friends and family and eventually a place we end up leaving to find anew!

Who knows how long we will be here, but for the moment and time we are quite happy with this new place...

Comments

Popular Posts