Australian Slang- a different language!

So I had to post about this because it really just cracks me up and I find it quite hilarious!

We've lived in China for the last 3 1/2 years and obviously had to struggle at times with the language barrier- after all, Mandarin is one of the hardest languages to learn. So, when we moved to Sydney, I thought, well this is going to be great because everyone speaks English! Well, for those of you that haven't been to Australia, they do speak English but have a totally different slang/words that at times can be totally foreign!

I should have known this really- I had two friends in Shanghai that were from Australia and I often found myself in conversations with them and saying, "what in the world is that?" or "what does that mean"?

Here are ones I picked up from them:

Thongs- are flipflops, not underwear. They only say thongs for sandals.
Clucky- feeling maternal;wanting another baby. My friends Jas and Jacinta said this to me when I had Henry in the hospital- just cracked me up. They said, "oh looking at him just makes me so clucky" :)
No Worries- no problem. I say this one all the time and have for the last 3 or 4 years. Just like it better than no problem
Nappy- think this one is more british, but it's a diaper. They usually don't say diapers
Dummie-not sure if this is how they spell it, but it's a pacifier.
Arse- your bottom
Barbie- of course, a barbeque! and it doesn't mean bbq sauce meats, etc., just means grilling and cooking out
Hundreds and Thousands- what they call the balled sprinkles (like you put on cupcakes), makes sense though if you think about it.
Mum- Obvious it's Mom. But they don't say "Mom", it's all Mum. I still am trying to explain to Jack why they say "Mum" and there's a U instead of an O
Mates- is a friend. "How's it going mate?" and funny because Jack calls all of his friends "mates" now instead of friends
Vegemite- it's a vegetable extract used as a spread on Toast. I've never actually tasted it, but they use it all the time over here!

Anyway, those are just some that I learned before we moved over here. They are so many more though.

But, when my Mother-in-law was here, we found this little book and not only is it ridiculously funny, it's also kind-of a life saver. :)

It has some pretty funny stuff in it- the "Essential Guide to the Australian Sense of Humor". It says, "due to the high density of flies that inhabit ever nook and cranny of the entire continent, Australians have developed a highly efficient method of speaking that involves opening the mouth just enough to speak the words while minimising the risk of flies intruding the mouth cavity". :)

Here are some of my favorites from the book:

Airy fairy- fancy; vague- "don't give me that airy fairy bull****"
Ankle biter- a small child
BYO- "bring your own" beer or alcohol to a restaurant- I don't know that OKlahoma has any places that does this, but everyone does it here
Chew & Spew- take away food
choppers- teeth
Dog & bone-  telephone
"Good on ya Mate"- positive exclamation, well done- we hear this all the time!
Jarmies- pajamas
Knickers in a knot- upset. "don't get your knickers in a knot"
Narky-short tempered - "He's really narky today"
Nut Chokers- men's underwear! ha ha! :)
"Off like a bride's nightie"- to leave quickly
"Play funny buggers"- messing around- "Stop playing funny buggers with me"
"Shark biscuts"-new surfers
"Shoot a fairy"-to fart- "He's just shot a fairy"
"War Paint"-women's cosmetics

These are just some of the many- and you can see why I often find myself saying, "what?" or "what is that?". It's not as difficult as Shanghai was and most of the time very entertaining. So get your "slang" dictionary before you come over to the Great land of Oz! :)

Comments

Popular Posts