Bucket List: High Tea at the Peninsula Hotel!

So one downside to leaving a place rather quickly is that your time (and I barely have any) is extremely limited! I had a whole list of things that I wanted to do before I left Hong Kong- and you know what- most of them won't happen. BUT, I did get to go to High Tea yesterday at the Peninsula Hotel and it was just as fabulous as I imagined it would be!

I've been wanting to do it since we arrived but some certain husband didn't fancy such an outing- I suppose it's not really his "cup of tea". But last week when I was at a farewell lunch for my friend Sandra (she's moving to Korea!), I broke the news to my Mandarin group that I was leaving as well. So one of them suggested we do the outing at the Peninsula! Eeek! I quickly told Jason when I left and I'm not sure who was more excited- me because I was finally getting to go, or him because he didn't have to go!

Before I get into our fabulous afternoon, I think I should give some information as to exactly what "High Tea" or "Afternoon" Tea is because I know some of my American friends are not knowledgable on this subject. (I mean I will definitely admit- I had no clue until we moved to Sydney). I mean, there in good ole' Oklahoma I can't say that many restaurants or cafes (that I know of) offer an afternoon tea set. (Hmmmm...maybe I should start that?).

HERE is a great article explaining the origin of the activity. There are quite a few out there and I"m sure there are many different versions and variations. Here is also a link to my Afternoon Tea Ideas board on Pinterest- I've pinned a few appropriate recipes as also some links that give proper etiquette and ideas for how to throw your own afternoon tea. I'm just waiting to throw a "Afternoon Tea" party or shower! :)

However, I would say that you have to experience it at the Peninsula Hotel. So decadent and extravagant- a must do for an elegant experience in Hong Kong. It's served every afternoon starting at 2 p.m.- but mind you, they do not take reservations- you have to wait in line. For more information see this article from CNN.

So we had a great afternoon yesterday and was the perfect way for me to say goodbye to my Mandarin ladies. Full of fantastic nibbles, drinks, good conversation and laughter (just like our weekly classes). It was also on everyone else's bucket list!

Let me just clarify too- my Mandarin ladies are all Australia gals- but I have been taking Mandarin with them for about a year now. We met once a week with a tutor (there started out with 10 of us, now there are 7) and tried our very best to focus and stay on subject, though wasn't always the easiest ( I mean, come on, that many ladies staying on focus with a tutor that is so nice she doesn't even want to interrupt our conversations). And every week at our tutor sessions we all brought in snacks/food and this last term we even had our Friday sessions with "bubbles".

Thus, yesterday was an "extravagant" form of our weekly sessions- minus the tutoring! Jason did ask why we needed "bubbles" if it was high tea- and I don't really have an appropriate answer for that, but that we wanted to! :) I had caramel tea and it was delicious! Yummy scones, macaroons (my new favorite) and other delicious savouries and sweets were served, all whilst listening to their soothing string quartet.

Will be missing my Mandarin ladies and all the fun we had during our lessons- I promise to keep up my tutoring!

The oldest hotel in Hong Kong! :) 

My gals! :) 

You know you want to partake?!?! 

Well not the best picture, but it works! In the lobby of the Peninsula! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts