Flower Market

SO you have a million and one markets to venture to in Shanghai; I mean, what is there that you cannot buy. You have the fabric markets- where you can have any possible outfit, ensemble, etc. made, then you have the fake markets with all of the knock-offs (purses, shoes, clothes, etc..). Not to forget the food markets, electronic markets, and the odds and ends market, that carries everything from ribbon to nail goods! It is a crazy world over here.

My mother-in-law is coming in just a few short days so I have been super busy vamping up our apartment. As sad as it is, I haven't done much since she last came last July! Oh well. So I went out to the flower market to find some goods. Now this is definitely ot my first trip, but there are always those enjoyable times that should be noted- and laughed about as usual.

The flower market consists of two floors. The first has an area of water creatures; the first time I walked in I thought something might pop out and attack me through the aisles. Fish, snakes, lizards, turtles, you name it, it's there. Squiggling, squirming, swimming... Then the bottom floor is occupied by real plants-flowers, trees, pots, etc. The top floor consists of fake florals, paintings, house decorations, furniture-well you get the point. Just more random markets for people to put their items in stalls and try to sell.

Two things occured to me yesterday with these stalls. I always have some point were I become frustrated because I cannot quite speak Chinese. It's a constant game of cherades, pointing, describing, acting out...it gets exhuasting! But really, where am I to complain. I am over here living in THEIR country. Don't we get upset when others come to the U.S. and can't speak English? Of course we do! So I was thinking how frustrated they probably are with us, who can't speak their own language, in their own country. Just hold your thoughts though, they are not completely aggarvated! Hello~ we bring in the foreign prices! I know for sure that the locals (Chinese) never pay what we pay for items (whatever it may be). We have a foreigner stamp, along with a money stamp, markeed right on our big foreheads. I think for the most part, they charge us 50-75% more than what they charge a local. The hard part then is to negotiate down...ugh...

Yesterday, I laughed outloud twice. Really does this happen! I went to buy a floral arrangement from a shop; negotiated it down using the very little Chinese I know, but then I decided I wanted to add a few more sprigs to it. So she tells me 10 more RMB for one; total of 3. The order before was 180. SO then when she tells me to pay, she says I owe her 230. Of course I look at her and am like, no, "bu yao!" Not good! We then proceed to argue back and forth; one in English, one in Chinese. 5 minutes this goes on until her daughter comes by and tells her that she added her math wrong. Thank heavens. Not that an extra 20 RMB was much, but please, she's already getting plenty of money out of me. She then apologizes ... I'm like, no biggie, I'm not so good at math either! :)

Then, my driver comes up to meet me to help me carry some of my things out. We are walking along some of the painting stalls, when he stops and points out to a painting. I look around and see a huge 6ft by 4ft. painting of George Bush! Seriously! James, my driver, is so excited and I of course think that it's hilarious! They have paintings really of scenerys, Chinese theme, European theme, some westerm, but never (in all the MANY shops have I been) have I seen a portrait (and one so big) of George Bush. Or really any American in general! Not really sure what to even think of it; who will buy it? Now that is the question. I know my last driver, Steven, and my new one, James, both liked George Bush. I wonder if all Chinese do in general? Who knows...

So that was my funny day. But then I was crushed when my driver asks me if I am happy with his work; if he's a good worker. Well, yes, actually he is a very good worker. HE works 6 days a week; most days 6:45-6:30; a 12 hour day. He tells me that Callidus (Jason's company) is only paying him 1000 RMB a month and that he only gets overtime after 10 hours. Really? How terribly unfair. I pay my ayi 2500 a month and that's 5 days a week 8-5. 1000 RMB is equivilant to $150 a month...really. I'm shocked! Of course I will say something to Jason ( I doubt he knows) but is there really much we can do about it. But I feel incredibly guilty after going to Metro yesterday and spending 2000 RMB..just one day...

Ah, more issues with living in China than I thought...never quite as easy as what you imagine...

Comments

Popular Posts