Thai Red Curry Veggie Soup!

I seriously love Thai food. Like love. My friend Maggie and I hit up this place in Norman all the time (whenever we could afford something other than takeout!) and it was so good! Then I moved to Asia and was introduced to the real deal. I mean listen I'm not at all trying to put down some of the restaurants here, but they absolutely "americanize" their recipes. Actually some of them aren't even the same. But I will have to say it's nice when they tone down the spice levels because our version of spicy is nothing to them.

I actually remember our second trip to Thailand and I ordered a Thai Papaya Salad and she asked me the spice level. Well I said "3" thinking that was a good middle road. Nope. Wrong. I literally only took 2 bites. IT LIT me UP!

Unreal.

So one of the reasons I love Thai food is all of the fabulous ingredients...curry and lemongrass are my favorite. I mean garlic is always on my list of ingredients for ANY meal, but ah Asian spices are just so succulent and aromatic. It's just a little piece of heaven.

As I mentioned, I'm really missing our Asian cooking. For almost 7 years we had Asian meals at least 3-4 times a week, if not more. Anything from Chinese, Thai, Indonesian, Indian, Vietnamese...ah the best! So I'm going to get back into Asian cooking and I would LOVE to share some of my recipes. :) (Some are even from my old helpers). Some of the recipes are from cookbooks that I found while overseas and some are ones that I've found online but just tweak a little bit.

I will say this- the fresher the ingredients the better- meaning yes, go grab that ginger and peel it and grate it! (and fresh toppings are a must too!)



Thai Red Curry Veggie Soup! 

*2-3 T. oil
*2 cloves of garlic, chopped
*1 T grated fresh ginger
*2-3 T. red curry paste (depending on how hot you want it) - I used 3 (maybe even 4 next time!)
*1 sweet potato (peeled and cubed)
*1 bunch of bok choy (thin strips, with white and green strips separated)
*4 c. chicken or veggie broth
*1 can 13.5 oz coconut milk
*1/2 T. fish sauce
*1/2 T. dark brown sugar (they use palm sugar but hard to find here)
*Vermicilli noodles

Garnishes:
*1 lime (wedges)
*Red onion (thinly sliced) or chopped green onions (either one)
*Fresh chopped cilantro


Best way to start is to prep and get all of your items chopped (veggies and garnishes ready) so that you don't waste time. It's a pretty quick recipe.

Saute your garlic, ginger and red curry paste with your oil just until fragrant. Add in your sweet potatoes and the stalk (white parts) of the bok choy and add in your broth. Bring to a boil and then put on low and simmer for 5-6 minutes until your sweet potatoes are tender.

While you are waiting for the sweet potatoes, bring another pot of water to boil and when boiling throw in your vermicilli noodles. These cook quickly- like 2-3 minutes. I used 4 nests. Drain and set aside.

Once your sweet potatoes are tender, add in the coconut milk, fish sauce and brown sugar. (If it's too spicy add in a little extra brown sugar to even that out). Then add in your green leafy bok choy strips and just let them wilt. All done.

Easiest way is to put a nest of your noodles in a bowl, then ladle over your soup. Then don't forget to add your fresh garnishes!


Comments

Popular Posts