New City- New Beginnings!

Ah- well, here we are again- yet ANOTHER new city! ha ha! You know, it was funny, over Christmas, my Mom said, "Emily, when you move to Hong Kong that will have been 3 international moves in under 5 years". I think it finally hit me. That's ALOT and can definitely be quite stressful. But here we are and we are once again adapting...and on our way to flourishing. :)

I'm so far behind on my blogging though. I intend to catch up over the next month- I missed 5 months and there was so much that went on that I want to make sure I have all of those memories online for the boys to remember. Will have to have "Make up" posts. :)

Anyway, we arrived in Hong Kong late Friday evening of the 15th. This was after a FULL week of packers being in and out, saying goodbye to friends, releasing all of our old contracts, etc., etc., ALL while BOTH of the boys were home with me. Jack's old school, Northbridge, actually started the first of February, but there was obviously no point in putting him in for just 2 weeks.

The flight was good- only 10 hours (breeze!) but we were all exhausted from the week's activities and didn't get into our hotel, The Royal Plaza, until about 12:30. So exhausted and tired. We all needed a good night sleep.

So I don't know how many of you have experienced jetlag before (it's usually not too bad), but combine it with moving to a new fast paced and crazy city and I tend to get a bit dizzy! Saturday morning I was fine- we had a great breakfast at the hotel and then went out to explore. We walked along some of the Mong KoK outdoor markets, then into Tsim Sha Tsi (TST), along Nathan Road (a pretty big shopping area).

Again, I felt just like I did the first time I visited Shanghai. I started feeling claustrophobic and just so overwhelmed by this new city. Now funny you might think, because we are still in China. But Hong Kong is not really like Shanghai and I guess that's what I was expecting. The boys started to get hungry and all I wanted was comfort food. So what did we see- TGIF! Yes! I thought - this is great- just what I need. Well, apparently you have to make reservations. Hmm...just FYI. It's that popular. Thankfully, we found an Outback right around the corner! And how perfect seeing as how it was our good ole' Aussie place. We were all in heaven! (And just so you know- they're pretty popular here- they have at least 6 or 7!)

Anyway- still dizzy- still overwhelmed with this huge city and how we are to make this our new home! Jason is just laughing at me. I think he was okay- I mean he's been back and forth to Hong Kong the last year. I've been gone from "Asia" for a year and a half.

As you know- a much needed nap was later needed. FOR ALL OF US. Then off again to explore- we went down to the Avenue of the Stars where you can see Central across the water. It was gorgeous. A little chilly though. I didn't pack that well. Jason insured me that Hong Kong never gets cold, but it was still February so it was cold. NOW- not chilly in that you need your big wool coat and puffer jacket like you're going skiing (like most of the Asians had on), but you know! :)

We walked around for a bit then hit up a German pub for, once again, some more comfort food! It was pretty good- and a great place for kids- great location too! It's called Brotzeit's German Bier Bar & Restaurant - http://brotzeit.co/tstc/

More later- it's Sunday and I need to get going. :)

Looking over one of the Mong Kok Market Streets

Fruit and Veggie Stall

2013- Year of the Snake! We arrived right at the end of the Chinese New Year

Henry's go too ride for the day

Jack and I at dinner! :) Great views of the city!

Our walk along the Avenue of the Stars

More Chinese New Year decorations- all over the city

And now the other two at dinner! 


Comments

Popular Posts