Missing me some DIN TAI FUNG!

File:Din Tai Fung TST.jpg
Yes, weird title for a post for those of you that don't know what Din Tai Fung -it is the most amazing Taiwanese restaurant! Amazing! And I am desperately missing it! Okay, well, they have one here in Sydney, but it is NOT the same. Well, we went to the branch here when we moved and maybe it was just an off day for them, (but you know when that happens at a restaurant- you don't go back for at least 6 months or longer) but it was not that good. And it's sad, because we used to go to this restaurant at LEAST once a month, if not more in Shanghai.


So, I have been seriously making dumplings since we have been in loss of these little treasures. It's a must for me to master these little goodies- the boys are OBSESSED with them. I mean, I still remember the first time I felt Henry kick in my stomach. We were sitting at the restaurant and I had had a few bites of the steamed buns (my favorite!!!!) and I felt him kick! Hilarious because it was just a showing of what we were in store for- can I tell you at 8/9 months old he was chowing them down! Jack would eat at least 10 dumplings by himself- not to mention a full serving of sauteed spinach, pork chops and fried rice! Seriously my mouth is watering because I miss this restaurant so much. In fact, we went here every year for our celebration dinner for each year spent in China- our "Chinese anniversary" per say.

File:Xiaolongbao.jpg
These are their famous Xiaolongbao- steamed dumplings


Anyway- they don't look the same as the ones they do- (and the ones they do are steamed), but this version that I make are super delicious and we all love them! I made a full batch tonight and there are 6 left- (which Jason is taking to co-workers tomorrow because he bragged on them so much and they're desperate apparently to try them). Here is a picture and my recipe below:

Easy-easy-and you can freeze them (once you've put them together), then just pop them out and cook them up!

*I watched my ayi do these so my measurements aren't exact-

Filling:
-minced pork (or you can use chicken- and some do mixture of pork and diced shrimp)
-bok choy (chinese cabbage) chopped- I use chopped sauteed spinach with mine most of the time (more savoring taste)
-1-2 tsp minced ginger
-2 cloves of garlic- minced
-3 T of soy sauce
-2 tsp rice wine vinegar
-2 tsp of sesame oil
-2 sprinkles of white sugar
-chopped chives (optional)- sometimes I do, sometimes I don't
-one egg white
-salt to taste
*Mix everything together- best if you do it with your hands. And again, sometimes I use more soy sauce and garlic- just depends on your preferences of taste.
*I find the premade dumpling wraps in the frozen section (I'm sure they have them at most grocery stores). You can make your own but I don't- too much time!
*Then you take one dumpling wrapper and drop in about a tablespoon or so of filling. Then take a bit of water to dampen the inside of the wrappers (so the sides will stick together. Press all the edges together (making a crescent shape) and pinch together around the sides.
*Best to put in the refrigerator for at least 10-15 minutes (or you can freeze until you're ready to cook them).
*I pan fry them- heat oil in a big pan (I use Williams Sonoma caphalon frying pan) then add dumplings and pan fry about 2-3 minutes. Then add about 1/4 cup of water and put lid on top of the pan. Cook about 5 minutes.

We just use soy sauce as dipping, but there are all sorts of dips to pair with these. And you can have these as yummy appetizers or as dinner- we do as dinner and I make fried rice and an asian vegetable. A great filling meal! And they are even yummy as leftovers!

Hope this was easy to follow. If you ever have a chance to go to one of these- go! We took ALL of our visitors here when they visited and it was by far they're favorite restaurant. I really am going to figure out a way to get one in Tulsa. There are two in the US- one in LA and one recently opened in Seattle!

:)



Comments

Popular Posts